Sunday, July 22, 2007

HOME From the U.P.




We went up by Pike Lake in the Eastern Upper Peninsula. This is in Luce County, shown on this map. Luce County is a wonderful place in the summer if you like wilderness, deer sightings, and miles and miles of backcountry roads. Luce County is a great place for those who seek solitude.


While there, we stopped in at a "resort" pictured here. It is, as a matter of fact, for sale. CLICK

If you were to buy it, you would have to adjust to no electricity and no neighbors within gunshot. There is, however, a very rustic state forest campground with lots of beauty and none of the comforts, and at least occasionally peopled by very nice outdoors folk, and the sometimes wayward bear. (We were assured that this time of year, bears are "on the move.") CLICK

The nearest towns are Paradise, which is 29 miles away and has more than 100 residents, and Newberry which is about 30 miles away and has about 3000 residents all of whom, we've found, are wonderful.
-----------

I say these things as if I were a city-slicker, but I want y'all to know that I have wilderness camped (thanks to my kid Steve) with no electricity, no towns anywhere nearby, no running water, and no cell phone service. I mean I ain't just no big city dude, ya know.
-----------

At Pike Lake Resort, I spoke with a very cheerful lady, and made a joke:

I- "We are looking for the end of the world so we can look over the edge. Am I there yet?"

She: (with scarcely a second of consideration and with a slight twinkle in her eye): "Almost, honey. You have about 50 miles to go."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I become a part-time hermit, this looks like the sort of place I might hang out. Except I fear it will be too cold, and I won't be able to potter around in the garden with my chooks and veggies for enough months of the year. Will Steve buy it???

Anonymous said...

It sounds like such an inviting place. Thanks for sharing.

Bud said...

I really don't know how well gardening would do up there, but I think the season is very short. We noticed sweet corn stalks in gardens in other places of the U.P. and it looked pathetic.

Meanwhile, down here in the middle of ther state, this is a great year for sweet corn and we've been enjoying it for a couple of weeks. So, ye I think the seasons would be too short for you Irene.

As for it being an iviting place: Yes, if you want to "get away from it all" this is pretty inviting.