Monday, January 14, 2008

Monday Morning friends report, Jan 14, 08

There hasn't been a lot of communication from BIRCH readers this week. Less than usual.

Many of the readers of BIRCHES are enthusiastic movie buffs. When we gather in person, we often talk about what films are currently in theaters and what we like. Movie talk, and discussion of actors, is always in fashion, though these have seldom been topics that appear on the blog.
DASHMANN - (our runaway punster) - having seen "No Country For Old Men" stated this about actor Javier Bardem: "Anyone he let live could have suffered post – Bardem depression!"

Many of our readers are also politically involved paying attention to the candidates and the polls. Some of them have expressed thoughts about the New Hampshire salvations enjoyed by McCain and McHillary. Most people are still uncertain, I believe, about which candidate they support, but it's not an exaggeration to say that most of the BIRCHies are leaning Democratic this year. I haven't heard anyone say: "Gee I wish Bush could run again."

BILL from WNNCO - We've twice received copies of the specious email making the rounds (again!) on the internet, about Obama being a radical Muslim and trying to hide his beliefs until he can be elected President so that her can turn the country into a Muslim state. This claim is unfounded, according to the Urban Legends experts, and I would go even further and say it's just a hatchet job.

SPARTY sent an article from the New York Times Magazine about the voters' attitudes toward Mormonism, and, by extrapolation, towards all religion in politics. He did not express any opinion about the topic, but knew I'd be interested. click One thing I took away from the article is the notion that people can't have it both ways. If candidates rely on their religious faith as a qualification for office, then that becomes fair game in the market place of ideas. This would certainly apply to Romney (Mormon) and Huckabee (Baptist.) But, if candidates do not choose to put their religious beliefs in play, they should not, in our democracy, have to answer for them. This is not the only possible lesson, for sure.
====

More personal things:
PAT - her kitchen replacement crew has gone on vacation for a week in the middle of the job. It was understood from the beginning that this would happen, and it's totally OK, but she'll be glad when the work gets going again.

BRENDA - has been working long and crazy hours on her new job.

FELIX - Has been laid low by the world's worst cold, given to him cheerfully by his sister.

MARSHA - her cat disappeared for a few days, but finally reappeared. Marsha noticed that the cat seemed to be upset with her for having been gone. "It occurs to me that Lola’s brain is so small that she is unable to distinguish whether it is I or she who’s been away."

Meanwhile, JERRY - is trying to give away his litter of kittens. No one seems to want them. Here are two, if you want to choose one:

====
===
==

Causes and concerns:
JERRY - Passes on this recommendation to help abandoned animals: click

ALICE - sent an article that answered a question I have been pondering for years. Why do chimpanzees eat dirt? Well, I'm not going to tell you, but if you wanna know: click
===

Advice Column
(thanks to Marsha):
Dear Abby,

I am a crack dealer in Columbus, Ohio who has recently been diagnosed as a carrier of the HIV virus. My parents live in a suburb of Worthington and one of my sisters, who lives in Dublin, is married to a transvestite. My father and mother have recently been arrested for growing and selling marijuana and are currently dependent on my other two sisters, who are prostitutes in Grove City.

I have two brothers. One is currently serving a non-parole life sentencein Lucasville for murder in 1994. The other brother is currently in jail awaiting trial on charges of beating his wife.

I have recently become engaged to marry a former Thai prostitute who lives in Atlanta and is still a part time "working girl" in a brothel.

All things considered, my main problem is this. I love my fiancé and look forward to bringing her into the family and I certainly want to be totally honest with her.

Should I tell her about my cousin who is a Michigan fan?

(Signed) Worried About My Reputation
====
Add ons

From Jerry (lucky photography):


From Marsha (upcoming trip prompted this):


From Basketcase (my vacation):


Hey all! Keep us informed and involved!

No comments: