Thursday, June 21, 2007

if it were not so ...

When you contemplate the Gallup poll results that about equal numbers of people believe in and don't believe in evolution, you have to be "awed." My mother used to say "there are none so blind as those who will not see," and this seems to me to be a great example of just that.

SOURCE

I don't believe that most people know what the theory of evolution is. Or what "theory" means. Or what "evolution" means. I think they've been instructed by someone to suppose that if you believe in evolution, you're a monkey's uncle, so it's better to believe that God made us all like Jim Carrey. I know perfectly intelligent people who don't understand the theory, and they generally admit it.

One reason why I make these judgments about people is because once -- and for quite awhile -- I was a teacher. I've seen minds at work in the sweat shops of education. Most people aren't stupid, but there are limits to how far most will stretch their minds trying to grasp a complicated notion. So, when corrupt Christians or stupid Christians peddle the dogma (not theory) of creationism, lots of people swallow it. That's much easier than trying to grasp some other formulation of our "rise".

Still, it's not a comfortable thought that almost half the people in the country are so unwilling to believe that which is true. In telling you this, I want you to be careful: I did NOT say that God didn't create you. I only say that evolution has been proved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People do not want to think, they simply want to be told what to think. So they think whatever they are fed by the mainstream media, their preacher, whoever, which is rubbish.