Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Curses!

Winter has come to mid Michigan and I'm pissed about it. The summer had hung on so long around here - through September and even into October - that I had snagged a notion it might never end.

I like shorts and T-shirts and going around in sunshine. It fits the inner concept of myself as an essential child of nature. Who wants to be distressed by too many threads and seams? Not me; and I'm convinced that mankind evolved in warm places, not in piles of ice and snow. The original plan was for aborigines, not eskimos.

A world of young people dressed in frivolous lightness is so much better than overburdened boot scufflers and overcoated, bent backed women or ugly men in Russian earwarmers. Let's see the legs and arms, proof of freedom.

So, yesterday, there were the first snowflakes. I walked into the doctor's office with cold wind and damp snow slapping at me, and I looked as grouchy as I possibly could. Someone will tell me that at least it didn't accumulate like in Buffalo or Marquette. Well, shut up about that. One flake may not make a winter, but two flakes are enough to make misery.

Today the skies are gloomy and gray and full of hatred. Friendly skies don't glower and mope. This overbearing fogginess is meant to drive me crazy, and it eventually will. It'll have me unbalanced, if not this month, then the next or the next or the next. Bonjour tristesse!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is a different view of those first snowflakes. We took our dog to the park this morning, and the feel of those few snowflakes as we scuffed through the leaves was so fresh and crisp; the cold on my face made me feel exhilarated! We spent about an hour tramping through the woods, and afterward I met my friends for coffee and appreciated the warmth inside. I admit to getting tired of winter in February or March, but when it first turns cold, or the first real snowfall, is really beautiful to me. Sorry, Bud, I love winter!

Anonymous said...

Bud - sandy davy is right - the time to get depressed is Feb/Mar. May I suggest that you get out of there and quick! Come out to Australia with your son... all the windows are open here and we won't be closing them til May! This morning is slightly overcast, but that should clear away by mid-morning, predicted high about 82. Saying that, I wouldn't mind some snowflakes now and again, and that wonderful feeling of coming in from the cold with flushed cheeks and enjoying a nice cup of coffee, I haven't had that feeling in a very long time and I miss it.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be nice if we could combine the best of both. Once in awhile we get beautiful sunshine AND crisp cold air with no wind. It's great! I have to admit that being in a classroom with no air and an outside temp of 90+ is NO fun at all! When I'm finally out of there I'll enjoy the warm weather much more. Right now I totally welcome the cold. Bud, the invite to Australia sounds fantastic! I'd jump at the chance if I were you. It won't be like some of our distant ancestors who were bannished there. Alice

Anonymous said...

You mean your lucky distant ancestors? Actually, I must warn you we have no air conditioning or heating here - it's an old house that supposedly was built for the climate - timber and high set to catch the breezes. We have a swimming pool now too, a bit of extravagance, but we use it about 8 months+ a year. Seriously, you and Pat should consider coming over - you'd could stay with us a few days, then see some sights - like Sydney and the Great Barrier Reef.

Bud said...

I want to thank Irene for this terrific invitation. It's very generous and sounds wonderful. Pat says that she can't possibly fly that far. Our son told her that all she has to do is take some Ambien and before she knows it, they're lifting her off the plane in Australia. The daughter-in-law says that when the kid takes Ambien, "he's out to the world!"

The fact is, we'd love to explore Australia some time. It would be great to come and visit you. And then, I would like to take that train trip across the outback that I read about in the newspaper. And do a hundred other things, also! I know Australia is a huge country and we'll only go once, so we have to wait for the occasion when we have the time and the money to explore it in some depth.

Meanwhile, take good care of the visiors that are coming this year. We love them dearly.