Thursday, September 11, 2008

Letter from SPARTY: "It's a pig!"

Written September 10.

I was at the Dem hdqrs yesterday afternoon and there were a couple of women making voter ID calls. One of them talked to a woman who said if Obama loses this election she'll never vote again and that her husband felt the same. After the caller hung up she was telling everybody in the office about the conversation she'd just had. Then she said, "You know, I think I feel the same way."

In driving around today, listening to NPR and Air America, all I heard was "lipstick on a pig." Tonight I turned on Olbermann to see what his lead story was - "lipstick on a pig." Then I checked CNN - "lipstick on a pig." Now, I know Barack Obama has talked about a number of issues in the last 24 hours but I have no idea what he said about those issues because all I've heard is "lipstick on a pig."

The Republicans stole the election of 2000, probably stole the election of 2004, and in the last two weeks have flat-out lied repeatedly about McCain and Palin's positions on the issues. If this election is lost because the Obama campaign is unsuccessful in getting the media spotlight off the silly stuff and McCain wins, despite the last four years, his flip-flops, his 90% support of Bush, his selection of Palin, and their lies I don't think I'll ever vote in another presidential election, either. (And I haven't even included the malignancy of white racism.)

A McCain win will be proof, at least to me, that our political culture has so poisoned the system that voting in a presidential election is a waste of time.


Footnote from Sparty, September 11

I felt better after my rant last night and enjoyed an afternoon of golf today. Just now I turned on the television to see what earth-shattering events took place while I was playing golf. I checked MSNBC in time to see the beginning of a Chris Matthews interview of two campaign strategists. The first question he asked was, "Did Barack Obama call Sarah Palin a pig?"

Shakespeare was wrong - first, we kill the journalists - at least the t.v. variety.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why hasn't Obama accepted the challenge to meet and debate McCain on a face to face basis ???

In all our occupations, I think we ran into situations where different people would want to do
things in different ways.

With me, it was 1st and 2nd shifts production in the auto plant.
I always found the best solution was to get the leaders together face-to-face, rather than me wasting time running from one to the other relaying messages.

Bud said...

They are going to have 3 debates -- I believe. I think McCain wants to have a bunch of little town hall style gatherings without the journalists and Obama is not hot for that kind of face=to-face.

Anonymous said...

As Barack Obama said on a David Letterman video clip I saw today: if the Republicans wanted to apply the analogy he made to Palin, then Palin actually would be the lipstick, not the pig. But then - that would be applying logic to the illogical rantings and ravings of the Republicans.