Sunday, March 2, 2008

Not too long ago, I had a discussion with some friends about who were the best conditioned athletes. One person said he thought it would be professional basketball players because they run a lot, have to be agile, and strength pays off.

Another said that probably baseball players were the athletes who had the least demands on them. Strength has little to do with the game, speed is a minor matter, etc. He thought that football players must be the best conditioned.

I opted for gymnasts. Here's one reason why: I doubt there is any other class of athlete in the world who can do this sort of thing.

This is Paul Hamm, by the way, an American gold medal Olympian, preparing for the American Cup gymnastics competition.
Click on Picture to enlarge. [Associated Press]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being an MMA fan I would think those would be one of the best conditioned athletes or similar, boxers. I quite agree with the gymnasts as well.

I have a blog (http://todayinseven.blogspot.com) where I ask people to tell me about their day in 7 words or less. If you'd like to tell me about your day just leave me a comment. If not, keep blogging and have a good day.

Anonymous said...

My vote is for Aussie Rules football players - someone in the centres. They run on average 18km a game, jump, tackle, kick, and throw their bodies around in general, all whilst running all the time. They look fantastic for it too....
Irene

Bud said...

I must agree with both Irene and "M'. I have watched both these sports on TV and admit that they are worthy of being called sports.

I also think that soccer is a sport of great conditioning --- endurance, speed, strength, and wit are all involved.