Monday, March 17, 2008

Monday Morning friends report, Mar.17, 2008

Despite the collapsing economy, the war in Iraq which most of us don't think about because we're not involved and don't have to pay for it, and the continued cold and gloomy weather in the mid-West which affects many of negatively, it is a wonderful day to be Irish (or, in my case, about 1/2 Irish).
====

It is springtime in Marsha's front yard.
She lives in South Carolina.
We northerners will just have to wait!




====

The injured reserves:
Here are some people who have been unwell this week.

MARSHA - is undergoing her next eye operation today. When done, she will be freed of the curse that has had her wearing magnifying lenses the last couple of years and still running into things. Now perhaps she will be better able to see the naked South Sea Islanders on her trip to Tahiti next month.

MARIE SHAKER- Many of you know Marie. She is now very, very ill in a convalescent home in Illinois.
c/o Jacksonville Convalescent Center
127 W. Walnut St.
Jacksonville, IL 62650-1371

GIGI, FELIX, and SPARTY - colds

ALICE - having a bad spell, but temporary we're sure.
====
What's up our folks:

SANDY - has information now on the Fall, 2009 trip to France.


Latest FELIX adventure: He went with Mellencamp and crew to New York City for the Hall Of Fame Induction ceremonies. Here is a report:


Possibly the coolest thing that has happened to me in a long, long time happened Monday at the Waldorf Astoria. Flash back to about 1967...the first song I ever remember playing on a 'record player', without help from the folx...by my own choice...was 'Walk, Don't Run'...by the Ventures. To this day, I get chills when I hear it. Just like I did Monday afternoon when I watched the band's rehearsal. Like I did that night when I watched them play it for 'the crowd'. That was cool...And, it was even cooler when Don Wilson came back stage, hugged ME...and, handed me his guitar pick.

CLICK HERE: to listen to "Walk Don't Run" which you will remember listening to and loving. CLICK

====


SPARTY - Was in Indianapolis for the Big 10 Tournament games. Here's a tribute to one of the things he loves the most. Michigan State is doing very well in basketball again this year, as most everyone knows, and we all wish them to have lucky balls in the up-coming NCAA playoffs.


====

Not in Mackinaw, you guys.


DASHMANN - warns that these pictures you might have received of an "Ice Wave" in the Great Lakes is a hoax. CLICK
====

Dashmann also posted this comment on BIRCHES under "Cost of the War." We thought it was right on the money.

1941 - Hirohito strikes US
1945 - FDR bombs Hirohito and Japan into submission.

2001 – Osama Bin Laden strikes US
2008 – Bush invades Iraq, eliminates Saddam Hussein in a country that did not attack us. Osama Bin Laden, strengthened and still at large, called unimportant by Bush.


====
What some people are sending

IRISH MIKE - sent this remark concerning the Eliot Spitzer scandal: "To paraphrase Harry Truman, Democrats are always getting caught with their pants down, and Republicans are always getting caught with their hand in your pants."
====

SANDY - forwards this message which she received from her daughter and which is attributed to Charles Shultz of "Peanuts" fame. It's a lesson in 'what really matters':

"You don't have to actually answer the questions. Just read straight through, and you'll get the point.

1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America.
4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winner for best actor and actress.
6. Name the last decade's worth of World Series winners.

The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners . Here's another quiz. See how you do on this one:

1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with .

The lesson: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care. "


JERRY - sent this joke appropriate for March 17:

Mary Clancy goes up to Father O'Grady after his Sunday morning service, and she's in tears.
He says, "So what's bothering you, Mary my dear?"
She says, "Oh, Father, I've such terrible news. My husband passed away last night."
The priest says, "Oh, Mary, that's terrible. Tell me, did he have any last requests?"
She says, "That he did, Father..."
The priest says, "What did he ask, Mary?"
She says, "He said, 'Please Mary, put down that damn gun.'

====

DIG S. - a friend from whom we haven't heard in some time, sent a reference to a satirical site where an atheist claims to have found something really interesting on his toast: an image of the Big Bang. We thought the item was hugely funny. You can read it: CLICK HERE
====

BILL FROM WNNCO - tells this sad story:
The Journey of Man
When I was 14, I hoped that one day I would have a girlfriend. When I was 16 I got a girlfriend, but there was no passion, so I decided I needed a passionate girl with a zest for life. In college I dated a passionate girl, but she was too emotional. Everything was an emergency; she was a drama queen, cried all the time and threatened suicide. So I decided I needed a girl with stability.When I was 25 I found a very stable girl but she was boring. She was totally predictable and never got excited about anything. Life became so dull that I decided that I needed a girl with some excitement.When I was 28 I found an exciting girl, but I couldn't keep up with her.She rushed from one thing to another, never settling on anything. She did mad impetuous things and made me miserable as often as happy. She was great fun initially and very energetic, but directionless. So I decided to find a girl with some real ambition. When I turned 31, I found a smart ambitious girl with her feet planted firmly on the ground and married her. She was so ambitious that she divorced me and took everything I owned. I am now older and wiser and looking for a girl with big tits.
====

SPARTY - wants it understood that he has nothing but contempt for Ralph Nader and any one who has a high regard for Ralph Nader, so he sends this bit of doggerel from Calvin Trillin:

So Nader's going to run again.
The Times put that on page fifteen.
There's nothing that's much sadder than
An ego trip that's barely seen.


(Evidently, Nader's unique ego trip distinguishes him from other politicians who are not ego-driven.)
====



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sure would like a tree like Marsha's in front of my house. It's gorgeous!!!!!!!!! Alice