Thursday, April 1, 2010

Religious tests

I've found that some people don't know when I'm joking, when I'm being cynical, when I'm being sarcastic, etc. So maybe I should start labeling my stuff.

Here goes: THIS IS SARCASM

I was reading this article online, and it suddenly occurred to me that the Pope has it perfectly right. He believes in a God who inflicts horrible things on people and evidently, even Popes, and even entire religious institutions, so they can prove their faith by overcoming them.

This was the beginning of the article.

Pope sees sex scandal as test; bishops urge reform


VATICAN CITY – Pope Benedict XVI sees the priestly sex scandal as a "test for him and the church," his spokesman says, as bishops around Europe used Holy Week's solemn call for penitence to pledge transparency in dealing with the abuse of children.


It seems to me, following this logic, that the real test is of the children so we should probably be thankful. God has sent them a curse in the form of priests to molest them. Now, can they, through faith and suffering, overcome these challenges and become good Catholics anyway?

3 comments:

Sparty said...

As a person who long ago stopped making excuses for the Catholic hierarchy, believing that the last two Popes have been a distaster for the institution, I nonetheless must quibble with your interpretation of Benedict's comment. One could believe the abuse scandal (which is as much about the bishops' abuse of power as it is priestly sexual abuse)is a test for the church without believing that it was part of God's plan to test the church. Leave that kind of thinking to the fundamentalists such as Robertson and his ilk.

Bud said...

Hm-m ... I suppose you're right. But if I accept that you're right, it undermines the basis of my opinion, and it would be like, you know, dude, pointless.

Alice said...

Great rebuttal, Sparty. I accept that you are right.