Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Maine Vote- a couple of thoughts

1. I don't care who marries whom. Truth is, a lot of the marriages seen as life-long contracts are doomed, because people are really not willing to make such a contract, especially after they've done it. I think the same will continue to be true forever.

A marriage has little to do with sex -- especially in an age where sex is not seen as an exclusive domain for those who are pledged. More and more people are not even getting married. I expect this trend to continue and deepen. I believe more and more children will be born to unmarried couples.

2. I don't think most people know what the purpose of marriage is, particularly people who think it ought to be reserved for some folks and not others. What is the purpose?

3. I believe the issue should be "rights" not ceremonies. Some people would like to claim equal rights under the marriage laws. So why are we so reluctant to grant them?

4. I believe that churches should continue to oppose marriages between same sex couples, or anyone else for that matter. Churches have a point of view to represent and I think they should stick with them without reference to logic, or rationality, or magnanimity. They are not friendly to large groups of people, and they should be allowed to separate themselves from whatever portions of society they want. So, if they wish, I think any church should be allowed to deny a religious ceremony to folks of different races.

5. Society should represent the interest of all people, not just the particular viewpoints of those who are sanctimonious. It's the duty of society to make opportunities happen, not make them impossible. That job is performed better by churches some of which even arrogate unto themselves the power to determine who can go home to God.

6. No body else's marriage threatens mine. I can do that all by myself.

No comments: