Friday, August 29, 2008

For What It's Worth

I've not caught Obama-mania.  During the primary elections, I made no preference between Clinton and Obama.  In Michigan, I had no real choice, since the candidates had pretty much written off our state and the Democratic Party wasn't going to seat any delegates from here anyway. 

It was my opinion that Hillary Clinton should have stayed in the race just as long as she wanted, and if that meant 'to the bitter end,' then so be it. Obama took that position, officially, as well, although many of his followers did not. Many people thought Hillary would ruin Obama's chances in the fall.  I believe she made him stronger.  I believe she made him a tougher campaigner. 

I know that I'm not going to vote for McCain in November.  This doesn't mean that I will vote for Obama.  However, he gave an extremely powerful speech tonight in Denver.  I heard things from him I hadn't heard, positions on issues I wanted to hear, and most important a sense that he really could be a great reformer. This country and it's underlying society needs a lot of reform.  For the first time, he impressed me. 
-Bud

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will vote for Obama. However, the issue that troubles me deeply is still the abortion thing. I wonder how many Democrats such as me continue to choke back our feelings and vote Democratic because Bush, McCain and such is the greater evil.
Someone please give me a good discernable break point when a baby becomes a baby and not a fetus.
24 weeks just does not get it for me.
Women should be free to rule their own bodies, but when does a child become a seperate human being and not subject to murder by a hit doctor if it isn't the moment of conception ??
Please tell me !!!!!

Bud said...

I really hope someone answers you, Dashmann.

Anonymous said...

I guess a only bunch of already dead people read this blog----
You would think with the number of voters that use abortion as a sole issue in casting their votes, my comments might have generated some discussion.
Maybe that tells us all we need to know about the complacency in this country.
Most must feel our democracy will endure for the same reasons GM and FORD would always be here.
No wonder we get the same thing no matter whom we elect----