Tuesday, October 20, 2009

this epidemic

We have always known that, some time, a disease bug --- either some unfortunate evolution of a virus strain, or a curse from God depending on your theology --- could overtake the globe and strike us down by the millions. Well, it's more than just a "could happen" actually, it's a statistical probability. People thought it was possible with Ebola, then the chicken flu, then SARS and then the "Asian" or bird flu.

This time it is the H1N1 virus, or as it's popularly known, the swine flu. I have seen two pieces of evidence in the last 2 days that possibly, we are at the beginning of a real epidemic in our country of exactly this. The first was a chart shown on television that illustrates the potential. There have already been as many "physician referrals" this year as there were last year, in February, at the peak of the flu season. This means either that the flu season is peaking 4 months early this year, or we are in for one hell of an epidemic rising until the peak comes in February or March.

Then I heard this morning that "nurses around the hospital" are convinced that we are just at the beginning and that it's going to get lots worse. "Pandemic" was the word used.

In this household, we are keeping up with the inoculations as they are available. If nothing else, perhaps we can avoid spreading the flu to other people we love and want to protect -- our children and grandchildren.

What I have decided for myself is to delay getting the swine flu shot until after the other more vulnerable people have gotten it -- children, pregnant women, etc. But, then I will get it. Meanwhile, I am carrying my own cup to coffee shops, I am carrying hand wipes and hand sanitizers in my car, and I'm remembering to wash my hands and face as often as possible.

2 comments:

Irene said...

I had the dreaded piggy flu in early September - the very end of our flu season. By that time, nobody cared!

Bud said...

So, I guess it's too late for "Get Well Soon!"