Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Some shavings of bark ---


1. For reasons inexplicable, my computer has not been able to access the internet for about 15 hours. This could be a problem with my computer, or maybe Charter who hosts me, or just a problem with my decaying brains. I was thinking I might have to take my computer in for a checkup, but now it's working. Officially, I've decided to blame Charter.

2. Speaking of Charter. They have sent me a bill which is - alarmingly - 35% higher than last month. They say my specials have run out. When I get done running to Florida, I'm going to raise hell about this, too.

3. I get cranky and anxious when there are workers in the house, possibly because I fear being drawn into the work process, or possibly just because I'm nuts! Not that I don't like the workers -- they're great folks. Our "builder" is one of the good guys of the world and I like to talk to him. Pat is having work done on a bathroom, and I don't do plumbing: PERIOD. But when the pounding and machines have been underway for about 17 seconds, I get nervous. So I called my buddy hoping he might be at the coffee shop, but no, he was rowing on the river. So I went alone and killed about an hour there working on a crossword puzzle and sipping the latte. During this time, a great discussion was waging at a nearby table about race and ethnic differences and what does or does not constitute racism, etc. It's a discussion I could have jumped into, and ordinarily might have since I knew one of the people in it, but to tell the truth, I was enjoying just overhearing it.




No comments: