Friday, October 16, 2009

a further thought on the Peace Prize MOVED FORWARD

There is a continuing controversy over Obama's Nobel Prize for Peace. Most people I know are just sort of shrugging it off as a tempest in a dutch oven. Obviously, peace makers are not always appreciated in their own country. This has become another of those political issues where the two sides just square up and throw mud at each other.

Some of the people who are most vociferously scornful would have been happy if the National Rifle Association got the Prize. If that organization is correct that the more weapons we have loose then the more peace there will be in society, surely they deserve it, right? This is like 1984 by George Orwell, where "war is peace." So, no doubt, the next winner of the Nobel Peace Prize will be Dick Cheney.

6 comments:

Dashmann said...

Well, Obama simply won an election over the worst President ever on foriegn relations.

At least he fairly WON an election, one more than his predesessor.

Sad state of affairs, when this is enough to win a Nobel peace prize.
Shows you how far we have fallen in the eyes of the world.

Alice said...

He also has been reaching out to the world and listening. He is thoughtfully studying, consulting, weighing and considering how best to handle a horrible situation militarily(to the chagrin of those who want to rush in with guns blazing). He has spent his life thus far(and I fully expect he will continue) devoted to helping and encouraging others to get along together.

Bina said...

I agree with Alice! Obama is trying to be different--- it takes time but this award was encouragement to stay on track. After seeing "Capitalism", I'm a little less impressed with him but still hoping he will get rid of those Wall St people & get on with changing things in Washington. Ok, call me Polyanna! Binaepp

Bud said...

Yeah, you know, I was being sarcastic. It DOES surprise me that Obama got the prize this time -- seems early. It DOES NOT surprise me that the prize would be given to someone who believes in negotiation before war, peace between peoples, tolerance, sharing, and understanding.

I don't think Bush was in the running. That's part of the point, isn't it?

Bud said...

P.S. - I find that my sarcasm, which I like to refer to as cleverness and satire, is often misunderstood. For example, I don't really think Cheney and the NRA ought top get peace awards.

Jon said...

Hey, Henry Kissinger got one!