Monday, December 22, 2008

Monday Friends Report, December 22, 2008

We had occasion to go downstate yesterday and stay overnight. The weather in the state has been brutal with sub-zero temps and high winds that have made even expressway travel a risky adventure. But we're there and back again with no trouble but a long tense drive.

Here, we are celebrating the DETROIT LIONS new record, 15 straight losses in a season. It is the best ever in the NFL. The only reason it isn't 16 straight is because they've only played 15. There is a rumor going around the state that perhaps the team has given up hope.

Now we are in the last month of the Bush reign and we don't know anyone who is sorry to see him go.
=====

ALICE - has had the back of her van bashed in by a snowplow. This is a piece of bad luck she didn't need, that's for sure.

BRENDA - Just in time for Christmas and the new year, in this terrible economy where jobs seem so scarce, she has found a very good new job with a publishing company. Congratulations and bless you on this new trail.

IRISH MIKE - sponsored a Guinness Club at his house last Friday because the weather was so terrible and the roads were difficult. Only his very best friends showed up. :)

TRASE - this is the week of the new baby. Will it be born on Christmas?

MARSHA - is traveling to the north for Christmas with friends and family. Everyone hopes she will miss all the bad weather, and that she will be safe.

FELIX - sends another report of his adventures on the Appalachian Trail (AT) ten years ago. He through-hiked it from Maine to Georgia that summer and about Christmas time found himself in North Carolina.

Location of Bald Mt. Shelter, S. of Rte 19, near Tennessee/N. Carolina border.

* click on the map to enlarge it
==
The Kid (Groovin' Moose) caught me and hiked through the DMZ with me. [It is an area of the Trail in Tennessee that the NPS took some land (I'm not sure if it was eminent domain, or not) and the locals weren't too thrilled with the idea. It is a rough area. I once encountered fishhooks hanging at eye level across the trail and a shelter was burned down. It is called that because of its similarity to a demilitarized zone, I believe. ] He said he didn't want me to hike through alone :-) . Kids. Oddly enough, I actually had two conversations with locals in their yards. Imagine that: Felix talking to someone. Anyway, a little while later, I took one of my 3 falls on the trip. Thought I broke my wrist. I didn't.

The next day (10 years ago Thursday) I left the hostel at about noon and headed up to No Business Knob. It would be the last time I'd see Groovin' Moose on the hike ... I was pretty much alone from this point on. That was alright, as it meant I didn't have to spend so much time explaining what I said.

It snowed pretty hard the last 4 or 5 miles. Very windy and cold. I stayed at Bald Mt. Shelter that night. That is where I met Hooper and Toto. I had a blast with those guys that night, even though I never saw either of them (they were in tents 'upstairs'.) I was once again suprised to be crossing paths with northbounders. It got very cold and snowy that night. I think [it] seemed worse than it was, though.

So..ten years ago yesterday was...December 19th, 1998. Miserable weather. It warmed up enough to rain, and the snow of the previous day had turned to slush.It may have rained, or snowed, or drizzled every step of this day. I remember when I got to Sam's Gap, it was pouring. There was lots of traffic ... As the traffic whizzed by, the long tails of water that followed them would, of course, hit me. It didn't matter, I was already soaked and cold. I finally made it across the road, and up to Hogback Ridge Shelter. It was good to get out of the wind and rain for a snack. That is where the announcement "Vote to Impeach" came through my headset. I had been listening to the NPR broadcast of the stuffy impeachment proceedings all morning. It definitely helped to take my mind off the ankle-deep slush I was trudging through.


SANDY - Her daughter is home for Christmas and will be attending the Coffee Klatch this week to watch all the natives frolicking there.

LAURA - a favored barrista, is celebrating a birthday this week. Congratulations.


=====
ETC.... :

IRISH MIKE - reports that at least 20% of the pharmaceuticals used in the United States are manufactured in China (Yikes) where they fall under the same sort of regulations that gave us poison dog food and toxic toys. This includes virtually all the vitamins sold here.

BILL FROM WNNCO -
has discovered the only really worthwhile "Buckeyes" and they seem to come in pairs.