Wednesday, June 30, 2010

an admission




Here is an admission. I have been blogging for more than three years under the BIRCHES, and I'm losing interest in most of the things I've talked about, not because they're unimportant nor have I changed my mind, but because I don't find much new to say. (e.g., sometimes I rant about the easy availability of guns and the slaughter they cause, but I really don't have new things to say about it.)

During these years, I have tried to be clever, tried to be sarcastic, and tried to be topical. As a matter of fact, blogging is an egocentric activity, although not necessarily self-centered. Does that make sense? It satisfies, at least for awhile, the personal urges to be creative and to make public statements about public matters. Naturally one hopes that others are paying attention, and I know some people are.

Lately, I have begun to lose interest, not in blogging, but in the topics. I find I just don't want to comment on many of those things I used to talk about. For example, I don't really want to hear about what the Republicans are doing anymore, and I take it for granted that anyone still reading BIRCHES agrees with me about those people. And as for the Democrats, I feel they are incompetent to be governing these days, and only Obama seems to make a real difference.

The negligent destruction by a huge international company of our Gulf of Mexico is so disgusting and so dismaying to me, that I almost don't want to hear about it anymore. I certainly don't have anything new to add to what's already been said, and once again, I bet those who still read BIRCHES agree with me.

I was enthusiastic about the World's Cup competition, but now that the U.S. has been eliminated, no one among my friends cares about it. So, I will follow the playoffs alone.

Often I've invited other people to post things on my blog, and some people have. They usually get a small reaction from other people and then the topic is gone with the wind. I particularly want to thank my good friend, John, otherwise known as "Dashmann", for his frequent offerings, and my good friend Bob, otherwise known as "Sparty" for his contributions.

Therefore, I am looking for new stimuli for the mental part of blogging. I haven't quit, but once more, I may be changing.
======

Here are some things on my mind recently:
1. I have this urge to have a new car. I love new cars. My wife has a great urge to buy some property up north. I said, let's wrestle for it. She agreed and now I guess we're going property hunting again. Yes, she kicked my ass, but that's because I'm old.

2. The Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door. A nice lady only slightly older than I am handed me some paper and said, "Here's an invitation to come to the Dow Center for our meeting. The only thing you need is your Bible." Here is what I was going to say: "Tell me your address so I can come to your house and harangue you about my religious beliefs." But, I didn't. This is because I know the Witnesses are an important source of income for a friend of mine who owns a coffee shop. (So, I guess I have sold out my sharp tongue if not my principles for the sake of capitalist enterprise.)

3. I went to have coffee with IRISH MIKE this morning and learned all sorts of new things. I found out that many high schools have started bowling teams, for example. Mike told me, because I was going to the Farmer's Market next, to buy some of the gumbo at the snack tent. I did. It was terrific. So, if you're going to the Farmer's Market, give your gullet a gift of gumbo.

4. ELENA KAGAN is a smart-aleck who can phrase things very diplomatically when what she really seems to want to say is, "Senator, you're an asshole!" I haven't listened to most of the hearings, of course, but from what I've seen, she's well qualified.

5. A friend told me that he won't read my blog anymore because I'm too violent. No kidding. Am I?


4 comments:

Irish Mike said...

I have always enjoyed your blog, and the comments left on it. I suppose that is because they are honest feelings from ordinary folks. What ever direction the Birches takes I am sure I will still be an active follower. Actually, I like to read about the things that interest my friends, whether it is of local interest or the national and international debate. This includes the purchase of combo or the World Cup.

Bud said...

Thank you, Mike

Alice said...

Count me in as one who checks in when ever I get to the library(about once a week). In fact it's the primary reason I get out of the house and come here. I may not comment as often as I want to because I get overwhelmed with all there is to think about, but I really enjoy all the comments from others and espescially your perspective on things as well as your sense of humor. Right now I'm interested in seeing that Virg Burnaro(sp) mayor of Lansing gets elected as our next governor. And I'm working on finding out more about a man named Campbell who is township supervisor in Richland township. He has had the guts to throw his hat in the ring and challenge Dave Camp("Mr. Money") for the 4th District House Seat.

Bina said...

I enjoy reading your blog. I don't do it as often as I would like to because being on the computer takes up too much of my time. As I am doing now, I usually catch up at some point. No, you are not too violent (what??!!) And I learn lots of interesting facts from reading your blog. Bina