Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Friends Report on August 11, 2009





BIRCHES acknowledges the death in Saginaw of Kay Webb, who worked with some of the followers of this blog for a number of years, who had a quick mind, a high wit, and a variety of talents in her lifetime that made her interesting and ever charming. Goodbye Kay Webb, you added a lot to our days.
----
To the two young mothers who took a van full of children through the drive through at McDonald's today, right ahead of me, I would like to say a few words. When you have that big a crew, you have an obligation to expedite your business, not leisurely distribute all the food and drinks through the van while you're still parked at the window. If I had been just a little less tolerant today, I might have gotten out and kicked your door into wrinkles.
=====
PAT and HOWARD C. - extended a generous invitation for us to visit their home at Lake Charlevoix. The hospitality was wonderful! The house was beautiful and beautifully decorated by Pat's very skilled hand and eye. We had a lot of good conversation, plenty of wine, and a great boat ride to see the sights around the lake. Thanks to them for the kind invitation.
TRASE and SCOT - spent the past weekend with friends at Walloon Lake.
STEVE - is in Nebraska at a conference for the Nature Conservancy.
BILL from WNNCO - is proving to be a great friend to a person in need.
SANDY - is still thrilled in California with her new grandson.
AMY - cannot stop thinking about school, which she has retired from. She's at the awkward stage where she does not having to start preparing for a new year now that August is here, but she can't seem to feel OK about not have to do it. Teachers are used to facing August and September with apprehension, so it takes them a few years to grow completely comfortable when fall draws near.

SOME SNAPSHOTS
===

LIAM and PAT - the love is clearly mutual.



======

======

PAT and HOWARD'S view from the front porch. They have opted to keep the ground in a natural state rather than groomed lawns, a decision which adds a huge amount of grace to the house.

======


THE SOMERSET POINTE YACHT CLUB
at Lake Charlevoix. I now consider it to be MY yacht club, so from now on, all you people, treat me with just a little more respect. I went there, they let me come in to have some horse d'ovaries, they (some of them) talked to me, and I lapped up the elegance of the place without feeling awkward or poor --- both of which I actually am. Putting me in a yacht club is pretty much akin to putting Brandon Inge in a homerun contest. Let me add that if I really DO become a member, which I am evidently welcomed to do, I will be the member without any boat, much yet a yacht, and I will work hard to correct the abysmal spelling of POINTE which is an improper construction in all the languages I have checked, including French, which people seem to feel benefits somehow from tacking useless letters on perfectly OK words. It's a cool place, though, and I know both the Club and I would benefit from a prolonged association.

=====



Some Pats


======


MRS. PETE'S RESTAURANT at Bellaire Michigan, where the food is great, the prices are more than adequate, the atmosphere is bright and homey, the local gentry gather to discuss politics and life very quietly and discretely at a large table, and where a great deal of the charm of the place lies in the fact that no two cups are alike!!

1 comment:

Alice said...

Gee! I have the same kind of charm at my house.