Monday, August 24, 2009

Caning Kartika -- and other forms of Justice


NEWS ITEM:

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - A Muslim model on Friday brushed aside an appeal by human rights group Amnesty International to Malaysian authorities not to cane her, saying she is ready to face the penalty for drinking beer.Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, a 32-year-old mother of two, insisted she is ready to be lashed six times with a rattan cane next week for breaching the Muslim-majority country's Shariah law, which forbids Muslims to consume alcohol.

"I want to respect the law," Kartika said in a telephone interview from her northern home state of Perak. "Who am I to question the Islamic authorities' laws? That is beyond me."

============

COMMENT:

Every time that Singapore or Malaysia wishes to beat someone with a cane for drinking beer, I hope they will do it openly and flagrantly.

Every time Afghanistan wants to beat someone for singing, I hope thy do it publicly.

I hope every woman in a burqa gets paraded and degraded on world-wide television.

I hope every time Iran wants to hang a gay teenager, they have television cameras rolling from news services all around the globe, so everyone can watch them swing and kick in the air as they choke to death.

I want Saudi Arabia, every time they wish to public stone a woman for driving a car, to do in with lots of pre-planning hoopla and dramatic fanfare.

I hope they have brass bands on all these occasions, to draw a big crowd, and the population is given a religious holiday to attend. I hope they have claques chanting "Allah ahkbar." I hope be-robed clerics are there to harangue the crowds and whip up the blood lust.

Let the world see what you're all about.




No comments: