Friday, July 24, 2009

No party to go to

I was talking to SPARTY over a beer today - well,actually he had his and I had mine, so technically it was over two beers - and he remarked that he seemed to be no longer thinking of himself as a Democrat.

Maybe he will write a message for BIRCHES in which he explains his thinking on this, but I think I shouldn't be making his case for him.

I had stopped calling myself a Democrat a couple of years ago, and so I understand Sparty's impulse. I haven't contributed any money to any candidate or to any party for at least five years. People will tell me that just because I'm not happy with the party these days, it's no reason to abandon it. Obviously, I disagree with that notion.

As it is, there is no viable political force that really represents a lot of people who think of themselves as "progressives" or even as liberals. The Democrats have been so cowed by a few pressure groups, or they are so much in the pocket of some powerful economic interests, that they can no longer represent those who are honest, well-meaning, generous, and intelligent.

No comments: