Monday, May 28, 2007

Where the Dears and the Dinosaurs roam!


The Creationist Museum

Some godly folks in Kentucky have spent $27 million to make a "creationist museum" to depict the biblical story of what's what. They say one room depicts frolicking dinosaurs and well dressed caveman children. No naked savages here.

I have not visited the museum yet, and cannot comment on its displays or even its architecture, but all my friends would tell you that it's just the sort of thing I would love to see. So, I will go there eventually if it stays open and I stay alive.

Some fussy science people are raising a stink about the institution. They are claiming that the museum is no such thing since it has invented the items and the concepts depicted. Everything about the place, it seems, is mythical -- according to the fuddy-duddy college professor types; and not much is historically true. For example, the museum suggests that the world is, oh, say, 6,000 years old. Anyone with two bits of brain to play with knows that's wrong.

I would not condemn this religious effort. It's true, I don't accept that biblical concept of either creation or history. For example, I do not believe that all the dinosaur fossils only prove that they were too big to fit on the Ark. I don't think all the stegosaurs drowned on the same day. But I do think that these people have a right to believe that and to build monuments to their beliefs.

However! They need to learn to keep these notions in their museums, not in our schools. This is something you need to sell tickets for; and if they're smart, when I show up they'll charge me double because I'll get lots more entertainment out of this museum than the true believers will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, a monument to their beliefs is fine and dandy, but I hope this project did not receive government funding.